Winter Driving Tips
5 WINTER DETAILING PRODUCTS THAT WILL KEEP
YOUR CAR LOOKING GREAT
Maintaining your car's good looks is hard to do during winter driving. All the roads are dirty and other vehicles constantly throw mud onto your car. Here are 5 ways to make it easier:
1) REPEL DIRT
Auto Obsessed has talked about Gtechniq EXO before (see our Gtechniq EXO application page). It creates a protective layer over your finish that prevents dirt from bonding to the clear coat. It makes washing the car VERY EASY and it lasts for 2 years.
An alternative to Gtechniq EXO is Chemical Guys Second Skin. It's a good product that's getting positive reviews.
2) PROTECT WHEELS
Winter wheels usually look horrible. Check out any parking lot in December and all you see are filthy wheels covered in grit and sticky winter dirt.
This newsletter isn't just one a big advertisement for Gtechniq. We actually do recommend C5 coating (or EXO coating) for your wheels.
Protect your wheels with a coating like C5 and you will notice two things:
- Less dirt will stick to your wheels
- You can easily spray wash your wheels in a jiffy instead of having to work at it for minutes.
- Buy Gtechniq C5 Wheel Coating at Auto Obsessed
- Alternative to Gtechniq: Wolf's Chemicals Nano Rim Sealant
3) KEEP A CLEAR WINDSHIELD
Glass that is treated with a water repellent coating is amazing. It's very cool to see water bead up and blow off of your windscreen as you drive.
- Reduce need to use use wipers - air will push the water off your car as you drive.
- Better visibility during rainfall.
- Ease of removing ice, snow, water and frost.
- Buy Gtechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass
- Buy CarPro FlyBy30 Glass Coating
- Buy Aquapel Glass Treatment
- Buy Griot's Garage Glass Sealant
- Buy Optimum Opti-Glass Coating (resin based)
- Buy Wolf's Chemicals Glass Guard
If your glass isn't in good condition, try polishing it before applying your water-repellent coating.
- Buy Griot's Garage Glass Polishing Kit
- Buy Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish
- Buy Griot's Garage Glass Polish (Medium)
- Buy Griot's Garage Glass Polish (Fine)
- Buy Glass Polishing Pads
4) DE-ICER and WASHER FLUID
Quickly de-ice frosted windshield glass and wipers and make thick ice easier to scrape off. If you've ever been bothered by wipers icing up and not working, these are the products for you:
- Buy 1Z Einszett Eistau De-Icer Spray
- Buy 1Z Einszett Anti-Frost Concentrated Windshield Washer Fluid
The Anti-Frost washer fluid is guaranteed to not to damage paint, glass or rubber. It is suitable for plastic headlight lenses. Unlike a lot of windshield washer fluids, Anti-Frost does not contain methanol or ammonia. Mix Anti-Frost concetrate and water in a 3:2 ratio to get -30 degree protection. It works great, no icing and no smearing.
Last on our list of winter driving products: CarPro Fog Fight. Fog is caused by water vapor in your breath and clothes condensing on cold glass. Depending on the outside temperature and the effectiveness of your car's climate control and heating system, the fog on your glass can linger from 5-10 minutes!
Apply CarPro Fog Fight to the inside of your windows and prevent fogging and condensation.
- Buy CarPro Fog Fight
Auto Obsessed on Facebook
We regularly post stories and photos on our Facebook page. Go to http://facebook.com/autoobsessed and click "Like" to follow the Auto Obsessed Facebook page.